silver ladle, circa 1835, marked “ANDẉE Warner” and
“10.15.” The number “10.15” indicates a
silver standard of 10 ounces 15 penny-weight Troy which is 89.6% silver, in
line with the silver standard of Spain and its colonial settlements. In February 1830 the Baltimore Assay Act was
changed so that Baltimore silversmiths were no longer required to conform to an
11 lbs. standard silver, troy weight mixed with 1 lb. alloy (copper), resulting
in a 91.7% silver purity. Instead, the
standard was changed to the 89.6% silver purity, and silversmiths were required
to show a mark indicating the new standard.
Ellicott Warner, born in 1786, was the son of Cuthbert and Ann Smith
Warner. Andrew’s father was a
silversmith. Andrew at age 19 with his
brother Thomas formed a partnership in Baltimore during 1805 and continued to
work together until 1812. After the
partnership was dissolved, Andrew continued working in the same shop on North
Gay Street until his death in 1870, according to notes about Andrew in Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century Maryland
Silver in the Collection of the Baltimore Museum of Art, text by Jennifer
Faulds Goldsborough, 1975.
is 13¼ inches and weight is 6.9124t oz.
Condition is very good with no dents and minor scratches.