Coin Silver Octagon Water Pitcher "L'H BROTHERS" "W&H" circa 1845-1849
silver octagon water pitcher marked on the bottom “L’H BROTHERS”, a mark used
by John Ayer L’Hommedieu and William T. L’Hommedieu from 1840 to 1849 in
Mobile, Alabama, according to E. Bryding Adams and Frances C. Sommers in their
article on “Alabama Silversmiths” found in Made
in Alabama, A State Legacy, published by the Birmingham Museum of Art in
1995. See pages 309 and 310. Also, on the bottom is the mark of “W&H”
for the New York partnership of Wood and Hughes that make a large number of
silver items imported into Mobile. The
firm was formed in 1845 and continued to be operated by descendants of the
original founders and added partners until 1899.
on the L’Hommedieus and Wood and Hughes marks, it is reasonable to assume that
the pitcher was made between 1845 and 1849.
Similar pitchers exist with the marks of James Conning and Alanson Knapp
who were silversmith/retailers working in Mobile at that time.
pitcher from the bottom to the top of the handle measures 9¼ inches. The base across measures 5¼ inches and across
the opening of the top is 4 inches.
are several very minor dings in the body of the pitcher. The pitcher has never been monogrammed.